Monday, April 20, 2015

Sorghum Dosa/ Chola dosa / Jowar dosa


 Sorghum is known as cholam in tamil and jowar in hindi. It is one of the millet. I had a special request from my  Sister in law to post millet recipes in my blog. Actually I make millet recipes once in a week.  But didn't get time to post. I think now  its a right time. 

   I learnt millet recipes from my mom and chiti (mom's sister) They make frequently and ask me to  prepare by telling the method.  Here in Germany i don't get millets. So whenever i visit india   I used to buy large packets. This time my father bought when he visited me.  A big thanks to my mom dad and chiti :)




   
Millet have enormous health benefits.  First let us see the benefits before going in to the recipe.


The   are highly nutritious, non-glutinous and not acid forming foods. Hence they are soothing and easy to digest. They are considered to be the least allergenic and most digestible grains available. Compared to rice, especially polished rice, millets release lesser percentage of glucose and over a longer period of time. This lowers the risk of diabetes. Millets are particularly high in minerals like iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium.  (Source  millets.worldpress.com)

So try to include millets in your day to day menu in alternate to rice and wheat.

Here is the recipe...


Ingredients:


Sorghum/ Cholam /jowar - 1 cup

Idly rice/ boiled rice - 3/4 cup heaped

Urad dal - 1/4 cup levelled

Oil - to cook dosa

Salt - as needed

Water - as needed 



Method:

1.  Wash ans soak  Cholam, urad dal and rice for  atleast 4 hours in luke warm water.



2. After 4 hours , grind it  to the smooth batter by adding waterlike we grind for ordinary dosa.  Add salt and mix well allow it to ferment. If it  gets ferment. the batter will be frothy. Now heat dosa tawa. Take one laddle full of batter and  Spread it in circular motion. Drizzle some drops of oil over it.



3. After few minutes flip the dosa and cook until  dosa turns golden brown  colour on both sides. Transfer it to the serving plate.



Now our chola dosa is ready to serve...



Serve with chutney of your choice. I feel this dosa pairs best with Ridge gourd gosthu.



Notes:

  • This dosa takes very less time to ferment than ordinary dosa. So keep an eye on batter during fermentation time.
  • Don't grind the batter to thick paste. It should be thin in consistency.




No comments:

Post a Comment